To serve the church and the world through marriage and family life
FAMILIAS is the Association for Catholic Diocesan Marriage and Family Life Ministry (England and Wales) which was established in 2008 to support the growth of loving, life-enhancing relationships and to serve the church and the world through marriage and family life. FAMILIAS members recognise that marriage and family life have a specific God-given purpose in the lives of individuals, society and the Church and the Association aims to support, nourish and sustain all families whatever their circumstances.
In 2006, following the outcomes of Listening 2004 and a renewed focus on marriage and family life ministry within the Catholic Church in England and Wales, diocesan coordinators of marriage and family ministry decided to formally organise themselves as an Association. FAMILIAS’ members recognise that family is where we learn to relate, whether well or poorly, to self, to others, to God and so we place pro-active pastoral care of marriage and family life at the heart of this ministry. With this in mind, FAMILIAS aims to:
- Share good practice and make resources more widely available
- Connect and care for coordinators by providing peer support, ongoing training and formation
- Advocate for families and Family Life Ministry by collaborating with other organisations and bringing concerns to the attention of the Committee for Marriage and Family Life
- Advise and serve by responding to issues raised through the Committee for Marriage and Family Life and promoting the work of Diocesan Marriage and Family Life Coordinators
FAMILIAS CONTACTSFAMILIAS’ business is conducted by a Steering Group and supported by a part-time Administrator. The Steering Group comprises:
- Two elected representatives from each of the three regions
- The Chair of the Bishops' Committee for Marriage and Family Life
- The Marriage and Family Life Advisers
- Additional co-opted members as agreed by the Steering Group members
JOIN FAMILIASThere are three levels of FAMILIAS membership available: Full, Associate and Friend. 15 Dioceses in England and Wales are represented on FAMILIAS which also has over 50 Associate members and Friends.