Published by the Department for Christian Responsibility & Citizenship at the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England & Wales, the new Guidelines propose a ‘journey’ for the couple in steps and stages, involving the parish community (particularly other couples and families), all very much aware that it is God who calls couples to marriage, and God who gives them grace for each step on the way. The process described in the Guidelines appreciates the need for preparation in both the religious and relational aspects of marriage, equipping a couple with the knowledge and skills to build a faithful, lifelong and fruitful relationship. The Guidelines also express the goodness of marriage and richness of Church teaching through:
1. an extensive theological preface;
2. the suggested content for marriage preparation programmes;
3. the need for training and support of clergy and lay people;
4. the benefits and impact of the ministry of marriage preparation;
5. options for planning local provision of marriage preparation by a collaborative team of clergy and lay people.
Or you can order the Guidelines and other Marriage and Family Life resources directly from the MFL Project Office by downloading an order form here